Wednesday 6 December 2006

Where do I begin

I guess my interest in photography over the last 20 years has been an on off relationship, the hardest part was dealing with the frustration of not quite getting it right. I’m a hands on learner, if you show me how to do it you only show me once. But with photography I never could sit with a manual or go to college. So it’s always been hit and miss or learn from big mistakes, Wasting 10 rolls of film for one decent shot or destroying negatives with a slip of the wrist. I dread to think what shots I have wasted due to mishap.

Of course the digital era changes everything, I am no longer afraid to blow 50-100 shots on a subject because I know there always going to be safe. I might only use 1, but the risk factor has been eliminated.

At first I was a digital sceptic, but now, I to am a believer. Don’t get me wrong I haven’t converted, I still love film. But I believe that digital has stood in the shadows of film for long enough and has grown up since the days of 1.5 mega pixels and dodgy dust specs on the sensor.

Digital is in its own right a tool for artistic expression and I know we'll have a healthy relationship for years to come.

No comments: